Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Best Of The Square (1987)


Japanese import

I am completely unfamiliar with The Square. I just purchased this 'best of' CD on the cheap based not on the objectionable objectification of the front cover photo, but the fact that it looks like it might be some '80s city pop. However, this disc was placed in the jazz section of the used CD store so maybe it's more fusion-ish? Hoping for something along the lines of Noriki, Casiopea, Masayoshi Takanaka, and/or Takako Mamiya. Let's find out:

Tracks, and my first impressions upon today's initial spin:
  1. It's Magic (1981)
    Young Mark would have loved this in 1981. It's like a more pop-disco version of Sembello's Maniac single that would pop up on the US charts a few years later. Tasty slap bass solo followed by the requisite sax solo.
  2. Too Young To Love (1983)
    Mostly instrumental cut featuring breathy-tone flute. It's got a catchy chorus and the tune isn't terrible, but very repetitive.
  3. Make Me A Star (1979)
    Disco-tinged instrumental featuring saxophone and synth laser effects. Despite the fact there's not much improv here, this is the jazziest track yet.
  4. Banana (1980)
    With that title, I was expecting something a little more wild, but it's another sax-driven instrumental disco-funk tune. Great groove, electric piano solo, plus the most interesting percussion break I've heard in a while.
  5. Midnight Lover (1978)
    I'm beginning to think the vocals on the first track were an outlier and this is mainly an instrumental group. This smooth, mid-tempo number sounds like it could have come off any late '70s/early '80s smooth jazz album (long-time readers of this blog know I mean that remark as a compliment). Saxophone player is putting out a real David Sanborn vibe while the piano player is reminding me of Joe Sample.
  6. Change Your Mind (1982)
    And we've taken a sharp turn to a more aggressive and driving - almost New Wavey - accompaniment for our saxophone soloist, complete with synth bass. My apologies for not being able to properly identify the saxophonist, but the liner notes are in Japanese.
  7. Tomorrow's Affair (1980)
    Ballad featuring electric guitar with overdrive pedal. Not much to the tune; sounds like it could have been lifted from a 1980 movie soundtrack.
  8. A Feel Deep Inside (1978)
    I went back and looked up the tracks' release dates and quickly realized I prefer the group's earlier releases, such as this upbeat disco smooth jazz cut.
  9. Mr. Coco's One (1979)
    Straight-up disco bass line with the saxophone playing through some sort of phase shifter. And the back-up vocals return. Despite being so dated, it's a catchy little thing.
  10. Texas Kid (1979)
    Hey! I was a Texas kid in 1979! This cut is a fast-paced Scottish piece. And by Scottish, I mean Tom Scott-ish. Now that I've read that pun, I must apologize. That was a stinker, but this track is not, it's fun with a high-energy boogie piano solo.
  11. Memories Of Alice (1982)
    And we end peacefully with a tasteful waltz featuring solo saxophone over strings and piano.
Preliminary verdict after this initial spin: good, not great. Won't stand up to much active listening but perfect music around the house on a warm, spring day (I know it isn't officially spring until next week, but the temperature here in South Central Texas is about 80°, so close enough). It looks like the group rebranded itself as T-Square and is still around today. If you'd like to venture down this rabbit hole with me, here's where I'm starting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Square_(band).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment