Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High (1977)


Japanese import

When I first heard this album, I immediately compared its late-70s smooth jazz sound to George Benson and Lee Ritenour (see below) and felt more than a little smug when I eventually checked the album credits and there's Rit. But he's not the only familiar name performing here.


With that crew, it's no surprise this album has a definite Westcoast feel to it. A perfect summer album and since it is currently 89° outside, I'm already in summer even though it's only been spring for less than a week.

I love the thing, but let's check out some select YouTube comments:
  • This feels like a shot of Vitamin D.
  • The worst thing in this album is that it ends at some point.
  • Listen on a gray day and it'll lift your spirits.
  • This is one of the albums you play 284 times the first day you hear it
  • Happy just got happier
  • never have I wanted to leave work so bad and go skate.
  • I burned my tater tots because I was too busy dancing around, not even mad
More on Takanaka here and here. Dude's got chops.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: not released in the US

Tracks: It's all good, but today my favorite tracks are Sexy Dance, E.S.P., and the closing ballad Good (Bad?) Old Days. Plus, there's something for everybody at some point in the title track.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: A couple of years back, I was looking at a MTV programming list from April 13, 1983 and found several songs/videos with which I was unfamiliar, including the song Thunderstorm by Takanaka:

please take the time to watch a bit of this video if only for the costuming

Once I got past the headgear, I was digging on the prog fusion but not falling in love with it. However, YouTube then suggested this An Insatiable High album, which I initially ignored, but faithful CDP reader @DirkDigglinator did not. He gave it a try, got word to me to try it, and it was love at first listen. I soon tried to spread the word like a 21st century Paul Revere via twit & text:


Eventually found a copy at CDJapan and here we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment