Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Various Artists - Have Yourself A Jazzy Little Christmas (1989)


Fantastic compilation of Christmas tunes from the Verve vaults. Selections maily recorded around the 1960's. And with the exception of the Jimmy Smith cuts, all new to me at the time of purchase.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Don't skip any, but I've checked off today's favorites.

SongArtistYear
A Child is BornOscar Peterson1970
Christmas MedleyThe Swingle Singers1968
Jingle BellsJimmy Smith1964
The Secret Of ChristmasElla Fitzgerald1960
We Free KingsRoland Kirk1962
Christmas EveBilly Eckstine1953
I've Got My Love To WarmBillie Holiday1937
Ole SantaDinah Washington1959
Santa Claus Is Coming To TownBill Evans1964
White ChristmasElla Fitzgerald1960
O Little Town Of BethlehemSister Rosetta Tharpe1956
The Christmas SongMel Tormé1970
God Rest Ye Merry GentlemenJimmy Smith1964
Silent NightDinah Washington1953
Have Yourself A Merry Little ChristmasElla Fitzgerald1960

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I've been familiar with A Child Is Born since I first heard the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis version back in the mid-'80s and I've never thought of it as a Christmas tune until I picked up this CD. [facepalm]

No comments:

Post a Comment