Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Various Artists - Blues Masters Sampler (1993)


A compilation that I quickly snatched from a used bin for the following three reasons:
  1. Blues Masters
  2. essential collection sampler
  3. 1990's Rhino compilation
Excellent liner notes by blues expert and radio personality Barry Hansen (a.k.a. Dr. Demento). This disc is a "specially priced sampler" from an extensive blues series of releases from Rhino. A blues primer with plenty of variety within the genre; I like the thing and with a running time of about 49 minutes, the length is absolutely perfect for my tastes as well as my ever-dwindling attention span.

Interestingly (to a former educator and blues novice - i.e., me), Rhino's blues series allegedly spawned an educational CD-ROM about the blues:

Billboard, September 4, 1993, p. 19

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:

SongArtist
Year
Shake Your Money-MakerThe Paul Butterfield Blues Band1965
JukeLittle Walter And His Night Cats1952
You Need LoveMuddy Waters 1962
T-Bone BluesT-Bone Walker 1959
The FreezeAlbert Collins And His Rhythm Rockers 1958
Bright Lights, Big CityJimmy Reed 1961
Candy ManMississippi John Hurt 1964
Bumble BeeKansas Joe & Memphis Minnie 1930
Crosscut SawAlbert King 1966
Pride And JoyStevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble 1983
Every Day (Parts I & II)Count Basie & His Orchestra with Joe Williams 1955
Shake, Rattle, And RollJoe Turner 1954
Wild Wild Young MenRuth Brown 1953
Stormy BluesBillie Holiday 1955
Go Down Old HannahTexas Prison Camp Work Gang 1956

There's acoustic, there's electric, there's vocals, there's instrumentals, some tracks lean R&B, some lean R&R, plus there's a bluesy big band jazz piece and a historical recording of a prison chain gang singing one of their traditional work songs. I started to pick favorites but that effort quickly proved futile.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I feel I should listen to blues music more than I do, especially since I'm a native of the Mississippi delta, born not even 40 miles away from the legendary crossroads in Clarksdale. Obtaining this sampler didn't immediately lead to further blues CD purchases, but ya never know what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment