Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair (1985)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD. I'm guessing this early CD release ended up in a used bin when someone replaced it with the multi-disc box set reissue.

Back in high school, my buddy Jim had played his copy of T4F's The Hurting album for me, even letting me borrow it for further inspection, but other than the song Change, I really wasn't into it. (Nowadays I like that album, so who knows what kept me from enjoying it back in '83?) Then this album hit hard near the end of my freshman year of college and I had a copy of the cassette before I left school and headed home that summer.

I'd call it a pop-rock album, but there's hints of prog rock and Depeche Mode liberally sprinkled about. In addition to the great hooks throughout, I love the drum sound on this record - the absolute perfect sound for 1985, so my compliments to producer Chris Hughes (formerly of Adam And The Ants) and engineer David Bascombe.

For its inclusion in the 2005 book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, John Doran wrote, "For a brief time, Tears For Fears became the biggest band on the face of the planet on the strength of this album" and while that assertion is arguable, it certainly could be true, and I was more than happy to be 19 years old and along for the ride.

Press of the time:
  • Record Mirror (★★★½ ): "songs that make you yell and emote along with them"
  • Rolling Stone: "they can't help it if you've heard it all before"
  • Stereo Review: "memorable melodies, purposeful arrangements, and a resolute performance"
  • Musician: "delightfully addictive"
  • Smash Hits (8 out of 10): "wonderful melodies upon sturdy song structures"
  • Billboard: "capable of winning over more serious-minded rock fans"
  • CashBox: "Tears For Fears looks set to finally break the band big in America"
  • Robert Christgau (B): "Imagine my surprise when I discerned substance"


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #1
  • CashBox: #1
  • Rolling Stone: #1
  • Billboard Pop CD: #3
  • CashBox Top CD: #3


Tracks: My top three picks are highly predictable: 1) Head Over Heels, 2) Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and 3) Shout. Once I finally picked up my copy this CD, I was reminded how much I enjoyed The Working Hour and Mothers Talk. My only skippable track is the plodding I Believe, which is saved when it segues into the guitar-heavy, orchestrated Broken which is really just an intro/outro for the wonderful Head Over Heels. I've no idea what's going on in the final track, Listen, but I can't say it's not interesting.


Hot 100

Rock

AC

Dance
Shout16
1
Everybody Wants To Rule The World1 221
Head Over Heels375
Mothers Talk27




Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I immediately back to the summer of 1985, one of my best. This tape got its fair share of play in the Markmobile that summer.

And, of course, the ending of the movie Real Genius.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) (1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment