Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Grant Green - Green Street (1961)


EU import

During the pandemic, I've been streaming/binge watching more than usual and Amazon Prime kept recommending their Bosch series, so I gave it a try. It's an okay show if you like the "veteran cop who doesn't play by the rules" genre, but I didn't like it enough to watch all seasons. However, the title character loves hard bop and his taste in music plays a supporting role in many episodes. The set designer also put together a sweet set-up for his vintage vinyl:

McIntosh and Marantz

Anyone familiar with the compulsive side of my personality can easily guess that watching the show immediately influenced my purchasing habits - I quickly bought a bunch of '60s hard bop/post bop Blue Note CDs. The Blue Note label currently seems to be focusing on its "Tone Poet" vinyl reissues, so I've conditioned myself to pick up any Blue Note CDs (especially turn of the century RVG editions) when I see them. You'll be seeing more of those in this space from time to time. And that brings us to this wonderful Grant Green album.

Recorded when he was 25, this was Green's second release as a leader. It's a trio session with Ben Tucker on bass and Dave Bailey on Drums. Of the five tracks on the album, three are originals by Green along with two standards: Alone Together and Monk's 'Round About Midnight. I enjoy Green's tone throughout and the rhythm section is tight. The CashBox review stated Green was "musically mature" and I'm in full agreement with that opinion (link to full review below). According to the liner notes, the entire album was recorded in one session on April 1, 1961 - a fairly common practice for jazz recordings. Record an album in New Jersey during the day, gig in New York City that night.

Speaking of liner notes, this edition provides us with the original 1961 liner notes by Leonard Feather as well as new 2002 notes from noted jazz critic Bob Blumenthal.

Reviews/ratings:
  • Stereo Review: "mostly unremarkable"
  • High Fidelity: "one of the most promising new jazzmen"
  • CashBox: "Musically mature beyond his years"
  • DownBeat (★★★★): "tremendous vitality and drive"
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★½
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★★

Update: In 2024, uDiscover Music ranked this album at #39 on its list of The 50 Greatest Blue Note Albums.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Even though the originals are mostly modified blues, there's a nice variety and, most importantly to my ears, it always swings. All five cuts are good, but today I'm digging No. 1 Green Street and Grant's Dimensions.

Bonus tracks: Alternate takes of Green With Envy and Alone Together. While I think they picked the right takes for the original album, there's absolutely nothing wrong with these two cuts; I'm glad they were included.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: see above

No comments:

Post a Comment