Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Various Artists - Wave Aid 3 (1989)


A New Age/smooth jazz benefit CD from Los Angeles radio station KTWV with proceeds going to the American Foundation for AIDS Research. As the title suggests, this was the third such endeavor undertaken by the station. My crack staff informs me the station eventually produced 8 such charity discs between the years 1987 - 2000. I was hoping for smooth jazz, but this compilation skews more New Age. Nevertheless, it is a relaxing slice of background music.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 11 tracks, 62 minutes.
  1. Slip Away by Pat Metheny from the 1989 album Letter From Home.
  2. Once In August by Jim Chappell from the 1989 album Living The Northern Summer.
  3. Thousand Cranes by Hiroshima from the 1989 album East.
  4. Lonely Rose by Cusco from the 1989 album Mystic Island.
  5. The Search by Mickey Raphael from the 1987 album Hand To Mouth.
  6. Temple Jamaica by Peter Manning Robinson from the 1989 album Phoenix Rising.
  7. Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) by Enya from the 1988 album Watermark.
  8. Making Waves by Acoustic Alchemy from the 1989 album Blue Chip.
  9. Pearls And Tears by Andreas Vollenweider from the 1989 album Dancing With The Lion.
  10. Happy Ever After by Julia Fordham from the 1988 album Julia Fordham.
  11. Drifting by Suzanne Ciani from the 1989 album History Of My Heart.
Before picking up this CD for $3 in a used bin, I had only heard of half the artists and was previously familiar with only the Metheny, Acoustic Alchemy, Enya, and Fordham tracks.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: At the time of this compilation's release, I was getting married and starting my first "real" job as a high school teacher. In my 1985 Olds Firenza, I listened to KVIL when my newlywed wife was with me, KDGE when I was in an alternative mood, and music of the type on this CD on KOAI.



No comments:

Post a Comment