Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Barbra Streisand - The Concert (1994)


I prefer Barbra's late '70s - early '80s pop and disco output and it doesn't seem like I'd purchase a concert CD with track titles like Therapist Dialogue #1 and/or Disney Medley, so I'm unsure how this 2 CD set got on my shelves, but here we are - let's give this thing a spin. On a related note: it seems some of you like to break into my house at night and put random CDs on my shelves. I don't mind that so much, but could you also leave some baked goods or bourbon alongside? Thanks.

Stereo Review, January 1995, pp. 133, 135

There's no arguing that she can belt it out; Babs brought the goods. It's all very scripted, tasteful, polished, and professional (much credit to arranger/conductor Marvin Hamlisch) - the crowd at Madison Square Garden that evening obviously loved every minute of it - just not my preferred Babs. Give me The Main Event or a duet with either Barry Gibb or Donna Summer.

Streisand has subsequently released five more live albums: in 2000, 2007, 2010, 2013 & 2017.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #10

Tracks: Lots of show tunes on this setlist as well as an Overture and Entr'acte that contain some of Barbra's hits which, oddly, don't actually appear on the album. On the first disc (Act I), my pick cuts would be Can't Help Lovin' That Man and Evergreen. From "Act II," I prefer The Way We Were and Not While I'm Around.

The single from the album was Ordinary Miracles by Marvin Hamlisch and Alan & Marilyn Bergman (disc 2, track 7). It did not chart, but was nominated for a Grammy award in the category of Pop Vocal, Female, eventually losing to All I Wanna Do by Sheryl Crow.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Broadway Album (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment