Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, August 14, 2020

Jimmy Smith - Houseparty (1958)


This 1987 attempt at a CD re-release of this album was a hot mess. From the CD liner notes:


So there are 5 tracks on this CD, only two of which appeared on the original 1958 album. This poor editorial decision was corrected on later reissues (I direct you specifically to The Rudy Van Gelder Editions), but that's not doing me much good. However, one simply does not pass up a Jimmy Smith CD especially when it is calling loudly from a cutout bin, so let's focus on the music. First, check out this all-star line up:


On a side note, I recently watched a documentary about Lee Morgan titled "I Called Him Morgan" which I thoroughly enjoyed. And Morgan tears through every solo take he's given on these tunes. I've often mentioned that the Hammond B-3 organ is one of my favorite instruments and it's in the hands of a true master as this group tears through 5 extended tracks of standards, swinging bop, and true rhythm and blues. Every time I hear a Smith track, I listen to the bass player for a while before realizing there's no bass player and that's Smith playing bass lines on the organ pedals. Simply amazing.

Tracks: While this reissue isn't the best, I really can't complain about 70 minutes of Smith on one CD.
  1.  J.O.S.* - a ripping Smith original - this bop tune never lets up. James Oscar Smith apparently simply used his own initials as the title. (11:55) 
  2. What Is This Thing Called Love* - Groovin', swingin' take on the 1929 Cole Porter show tune. My favorite track on the disc. (15:12)
  3. Just Friends - the band takes it down a peg for a smooth, relaxing rendition of another standard. (15:15)
  4. Cherokee* - this 1938 Ray Noble tune should be familiar to most jazz lovers and this group's marathon bop version simply doesn't let up for a full third of an hour, leaving me exhausted. But what a fun ride. (20:18)
  5. Blues After All - a Kenny Burrell original - soulful, laid back 12 bar blues. (6:06)
*Does not appear on original LP configuration

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, but it makes me wish I could buy my own Hammond B-3 organ with Leslie speaker. Not that I've got the funds to buy it nor the room to set it up, but why let such limitations crush my dreams?

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Best of Jimmy Smith: The Blue Note Years (1988)
The Sermon! (1958)

No comments:

Post a Comment