Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Various Artists - Progressions: 100 Years of Jazz Guitar (2005)


A 4 CD box set anthology covering the recorded history of the guitar during the 1900s, more specifically 1906-2001. Includes selections from 78 different guitarists originally recorded on 33 different labels (the only omission I can think of off the top of my head is Leo Kottke, but I'm nit-picking). Each guitarist is limited to only one track, regardless of reputation. Despite the title, this set is only mostly jazz, mostly chronological. 148-page book is included which has helped me a great deal in understanding what's going on and why each track was included in the set. This historical overview is a must for any student of the instrument. And if the goal of this box set was to lead me to check out other recordings by some of these artists, mission accomplished.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart
Peak on the US Billboard Top Jazz Albums chart: #25

Tracks:




Each disc gets successively better, but it figures that I like the more recent stuff as I naturally gravitate to music recorded during my lifetime. Preferring instrumentals, no tracks were ripped to files from CD 1, a few from CD 2, more from CD 3, etc.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment