Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, February 29, 2020

Diana Krall - Love Scenes (1997)


I'm in full agreement with the following review:

Stereo Review, January 1998, p. 98

I'm not a huge fan of Krall's oeuvre, but this CD showed up in my mailbox as a gift and I'm glad it did because I'm digging her in this trio set-up. Heck, even I might sound decent playing with experienced virtuosi like McBride, Malone, and producer Tommy LiPuma (my only downfall might be my complete lack of any jazz piano chops). And the tone McBride and Malone are able to pull out of those strings - all I can say is wow. I've heard Krall with orchestra backing, but there's no comparison to this intimate setting - perfect for these standards. Ideal for a relaxing evening with an old fashioned or two; always better if you're sharing the experience with another, but if you're by yourself, use headphones.

The album was nominated for the Best Jazz Vocal Performance Grammy Award.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #109
  • Billboard Jazz: #1

Tracks, with composers and year of debut, in order of my preference:
  1. I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You (Young, Crosby & Washington) - 1932
  2. They Can't Take That Away From Me (Gershwin & Gershwin) - 1937
  3. Garden in the Rain (Gibbons & Dyrenforth) - 1928
  4. I Miss You So (Henderson, Scott, & Robin) - 1940
  5. You're Getting To Be A Habit with Me (Warren & Dubin) - 1932
  6. How Deep Is The Ocean (How High Is The Sky) (Berlin) - 1932
  7. I Don't Know Enough About You (Lee & Barbour) - 1946
  8. All Or Nothing At All (Lawrence & Altman) - 1939
  9. Gentle Rain (Bonfá & Dubey) - 1965
  10. Peel Me A Grape (Frishberg) - 1962
  11. My Love Is (Myles) - 1961
  12. Lost Mind (Mayfield) - 1953
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

ed. noteMelrose Place!!!

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Look of Love (2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment