Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Diana Krall - The Look of Love (2001)


Diana Krall is a perfectly adequate singer and pianist, but based on this album (the only Krall currently in my collection), I'd say she was a bit overrated. Not terrible by any means, but I've heard many local lounge singers do just as well. This was Krall's best-selling album, but it's also an album I see in every used bin I peruse - that's where I picked this up to see what all the fuss was about.

Modern day standards singing over string arrangements? Linda Ronstadt and Nelson Riddle did it first, and better. But if all you want is some romantic, pedestrian background music for your Valentine's Day dinner with the love of your life, this will do.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #9

Tracks:  Everything sounds pretty much the same (dragging ballad or tepid bossa), but it's all harmless. Nothing worth seeking out, nothing worth skipping.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment