Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes (1982)


A voice like none other. Mikey had so much clout by the time he put out his first solo album that he didn't even bother putting the title on the album cover - the name says it all. With Ted Templeman on the boards, this album can't help but sound a like Michael's stint with the Doobies at times, but if you like that stuff (and I do), then kudos all around. Simply put, this is stuff is fantastic and it never fails to put me in a better mood, even if my singing along with Mike just doesn't do it justice. And just check out this supporting cast:
  • Additional keyboards: Greg Phillinganes, Michael Boddicker, Michael Omartian
  • Guitar: Dean Parks, Steve Lukather, Robben Ford
  • Bass: Willie Weeks, Louis Johnson, Mike Porcaro
  • Drums: Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro
  • Percussion: Lenny Castro, Bobby LaKind, Paulinho Da Costa, Ted Templeman
  • Saxophones: Edgar Winter, Tom Scott
  • Backing vocals: Ed Sanford, Maureen McDonald, Kenny Loggins, Christopher Cross, Brenda Russell, Kathy Walker, Amy Holland

Press of the time:
  • Musician: "McDonald's vocal and piano style have been copied by so many hacks that many of us felt oversaturated and began to ignore the artist's genuine talent. McDonald's accomplishment here demands that we ignore it no longer."
  • Stereo Review: "It's better to have a derivative tune that no tune at all."
  • Rolling Stone (★★★★): "confirms his place as the most compelling male pop singer of the past few years."
  • RPM: "Without the Doobies, McDonald creates his own star image"
  • CashBox: "one of those superstar releases that seems destined to live up to everyone's expectations"
  • Billboard: "sophisticated melodies lacing r&b elements throughout his romantic pop designs, heartfelt lyrics probing matters of the heart and, above all, that deceptively deep, big tenor."
  • Hi Fidelity: "With a soulful style as smooth as salted butter, McDonald's pop is the best kind of romantic corn."
  • Robert Christgau (C+): "On his solo bid the El Lay soul man sounds like he should leave his therapist, not his group."


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #6
  • Billboard R&B: #10
  • CashBox: #3
  • Rolling Stone: #3

Tracks: They're all good, but lemme try to rank 'em.
  1. I Can Let Go Now
  2. Losin' End
  3. Playin' By The Rules
  4. No Such Luck
  5. That's Why
  6. Believe In It
  7. If That's What It Takes
  8. Love Lies
  9. I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)
  10. I Gotta Try


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In 1982, I was trying to adopt a skinny tie/spiky hair/pinbacks New Wave persona so the thought of purchasing this mainstream album when it was released never crossed my mind. Unbelievable. My mistake, admittedly, but that fact didn't keep me from enjoying the singles on the radio and catching up with this thing later on.

My wife and I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. McDonald in concert this past summer and I'll be doggoned if he doesn't have so many hits that he can start a show with whatever smash he damn well pleases. In our case it was I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near) (#4 pop, #8 AC, #7 R&B). FWIW, Chaka Khan wasn't the supporting act on this date, but McDonald's wife Amy Holland made a brief onstage appearance to sing a duet on one of his newer tunes (Hail Mary, maybe?).



Previously revisited for the blog:
The Ultimate Collection (2005)
The Christmas Collection (2004)
The New York Rock And Soul Revue - Live At The Beacon (1991)

1 comment:

  1. I know I'm in the minority but I hate Michael McDonald. I think he sings like he's got a mouth full of marbles. He ruined the Doobie Brothers.

    ReplyDelete