Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, October 11, 2019

Various Artists - The Glory of Gershwin (1994)


In which people who have no business singing Gershwin sing Gershwin. Produced by George Martin, this tribute album was a celebration of the 80th birthday of harmonica player Larry Adler (1914 - 2001). Adler himself plays the harmonica on each of the songs and it must have been fun for him, so there's that. I'll admit the star power is here and the song selection is impeccable, but this compilation is not for me.

But enough of my thoughts, let's see what the rabble over at Amazon has to say about it:
  • "Not as good as I anticipated, but, hey, it's Gershwin. How bad can it be?"
  • "The rumbling you feel isn't an earthquake it's George & Ira rolling over in their grave."
  • "The best thing about this music is Larry Adler's harmonica" [agreed]
  • "the performances really are unstylistic and unfaithful to the original ideas of Gershwin"
  • "the album is slightly dull; it has the dusty feeling of those specials your local PBS affiliate runs during fundraising week to get donations from nostalgic baby boomers"
  • "ersatz elevator music. The female performers hold the CD together." [I am in complete agreement with that last bit]

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #192, but reportedly a top 10 album in other parts of the world.

Tracks:
SummertimePeter Gabriel
Nice Work If You Can Get ItSting
They Can't Take That Away From MeLisa Stansfield
Someone To Watch Over MeElton John
I've Got a Crush On YouCarly Simon
But Not For MeElvis Costello
It Ain't Necessarily SoCher
The Man I LoveKate Bush
How Long Has This Been Going OnJon Bon Jovi
Embraceable YouOleta Adams
My Man's Gone NowSinéad O'Connor
I Got RhythmRobert Palmer
Somebody Loves MeMeat Loaf
I'll Build A Stairway To ParadiseIssy Van Randwyck
SummertimeCourtney Pine
Rhapsody In BlueLarry Adler & George Martin

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment