Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Michael Jackson - Dangerous (1991)


By request!  (In this particular case, "by request" means that a reader actually sent me a CD.  Thanks!)

To be honest, I gave up on Michael after Bad for no other reason than he gave up on Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton in order to chase a younger audience. So I've never heard this album before, only the singles (and I don't even remember many of those). Here we go...

Billboard, November 30, 1991, p. 51


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (Four consecutive weeks, December 14, 1991 - January 4, 1992)

Tracks: I'm not much for New Jack Swing (I usually make exceptions for Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis), so my picks are Remember The Time and Keep The Faith. While I've never cared for Black Or White, it turns out to be one of the better songs on the album.

SongPopR&BDanceAC
Black or White13223
Remember the Time31215
In the Closet611-
Jam2634-
Heal the World2762-9
Who Is It1461-
Will You Be There753-5

On first listen, it seems that Michael tried to copy to sound/success of sister Janet's Rhythm Nation album then tacked on a few leftover tunes from Bad. Well, at least we've still got Off The Wall and Thriller.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: While I don't remember the many of the singles, I do remember the hype of the release of the video for Black and White. Seems like we all rushed home to see the premiere - must see TV! I was more impressed with the morphing in the video than the music. Plus, the wind machine budget was probably more than my current salary. The Internets tell me it was Thursday, November 14, 1991 and since I can't remember let's go with that.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Jacksons - Story: Number 1's (2007)
Bad (1987)
Thriller (1982)
Off the Wall (1979)

No comments:

Post a Comment