Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Jane Monheit - Surrender (2007)


I've always enjoyed Ms. Monheit's pure, seductive voice on other artists' recordings, so I didn't think twice when I saw this disc sitting in the clearance bin at the local resale shop. And I can't figure out how it got there. This is a wonderfully arranged offering of contemporary and Brazilian late-night torch songs. Guest stars include the likes of Ivan Lins, Toots Theilemans, and Sergio Mendes.

Suggested pairings/groupings: The Heart Speaks, Late Night Guitar, and Just Passing Through: The Breithaupt Brothers Songbook, Vol. II. And a roaring fire, beverage, main squeeze, etc.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: They're all good (even her take on Moon River has grown on me), but I'll single out a few top tracks: Like A Lover, Só Tinha De Ser Com Você, and holy cow a cover of Stevie Wonder's Overjoyed.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: NSFW

No comments:

Post a Comment