Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, July 6, 2018

Barry Manilow - Summer of '78 (1996)


In August of 1978, my family moved from the Chihuahuan Desert town of Odessa, Texas to the more humid climes of Bay City on the Texas gulf coast, near the mouth of the Colorado River. A culture and climate shock, I think I handled it fairly well. But I remember the summer months before the move as a wonderful time. I had completed the 6th grade and I had adventures with my friends that included soccer, tennis, swimming, backyard fort-building, family vacation to Hot Springs, Arkansas, and chasing girls at the local roller rink on Friday nights. At that time, I was already a big Manilow fan - I believe my very first album purchase was Even Now, but I'm just guessing. I had also wowed the local PTA with the definitive interpretation of Mandy.

Your humble blogger in April 1978

So this 1996 covers album seems like a perfect fit, right? And it might have been if: 1) it hadn't been made in the '90s with all the production values that go along with that decade, and 2) Manilow had stuck to 1978. Or at least the '70s, maybe? Perhaps he was thinking that all these songs could be heard in 1978, which is true.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #82

Tracks:
  1. Summer of '78 - a Manilow original. C+
    "...and it seemed that every song they played on the radio was ours." Cheesy, but not a horrible tune with a brief, simple arrangement that segues into...
  2. Interlude: Love's Theme - Barry White, 1973. A
    Who knew Barry was such a tease? Only 25 seconds of this classic theme before getting slapped in the face with electronic drums, a key change, and the first verse of...
  3. Reminiscing - Little River Band, 1978. C
    Such a beautiful tune - fits Manilow's vocal range, too. The arrangement, however, leave me wanting the LRB original. And not only is there no flugelhorn solo, there's no solo.
  4. I Go Crazy - Paul Davis, 1977. B
    It doesn't match the dreamy atmosphere of the Davis original, but, except for the gated drum, it sounds exactly like it would have if Manilow had recorded it for the b-side of Copacabana. The only misstep is the synth solo.
  5. When I Need You - Leo Sayer, 1977. C-
    I wasn't sure if Manilow would have the vocal chops to pull off the falsetto, but he doesn't even try so I'll never know. The slow, plodding arrangement isn't doing him any favors, either.
  6. The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies, 1974. B+
    I know The Hollies version is a cover, but it's the version I'm familiar with so I'll compare this to that. And I gotta admit that I dig this sparse, slightly slower arrangement. Imagine that - a mellow, understated Manilow arrangement. Nicely done. 
  7. Bluer Than Blue - Michael Johnson, 1978. B
    I've loved this song since the first time I heard it on the AM radio. This cover is fairly rote, right down to the vocal harmonies. So while Manilow isn't adding anything to this one, he isn't subtracting anything, either.
  8. We've Got Tonight - Bob Seger, 1978. D-
    I've never been a fan of this ballad, but ballads are Manilow's sweet spot so I can't blame him for trying. After you get over the shock of not hearing Seger's rasp and the oboe comes in, you settle in and reach for the skip button.
  9. I'd Really Love to See You Tonight - England Dan & John Ford Coley, 1976. C
    Another rote cover, but this lazy take doesn't quite match the energy of the original.
  10. Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill, 1978. B+
    Now we're back to Manilow's wheelhouse. Good choice, good arrangement.
  11. Never My Love - The Association, 1967. F
    No. 
  12. Just Remember I Love You - Firefall, 1977. D
    We're given a piano/strings treatment here and it just doesn't suit the material. It almost comes off as a child's lullaby, which might be what they wanted for an album closer, but he would have been better off briefly reprising track 1.
Grade average for the album: C  Stick with the originals.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.



Previously revisited for the blog:
Ultimate Manilow (2002)
Here At The Mayflower (2001)
If I Should Love Again (1981)
Barry (1980)
One Voice (1979)
Even Now (1978)
Tryin' To Get The Feeling (1975)

No comments:

Post a Comment