Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Barry Manilow - Barry (1980)


Japanese Import

Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

This album contained Manilow's last top ten pop single and signaled that while Manilow's easy listening formula was constant, pop culture moves on (until it cycles back for retro-stardom). In truth, this is a fairly decent 1978 album released at the end of 1980. I dig it for reasons of nostalgia and as a skinny high school freshman, I yet hadn't begun my failed attempts at being a New Wave Johnny Slash wannabe, so I could still listen to Manilow. The critics liked it more than I did but yeah, I still sing along with Barry to all these tracks, what of it?

Billboard, December 6, 1980, p. 45
Note: Barry got the album spotlight in that issue over REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity. Oops.


Chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200 chart: #15
  • CashBox album chart: #17
  • Rolling Stone chart: #25

Tracks: Top ten hit (I Made It Through the Rain), intentional and unintentional novelty songs (Bermuda Triangle, Only In Chicago, The Last Duet), mid-tempo filler (Twenty-Four Hours A Day, Dance Away, London), and, of course, ballads (Lonely Together, Life Will Go On, We Still Have Time).



Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In 1980, I still bought every Manilow album upon release. Even though I held on for another album, I could tell that maybe it was time to seek other easy listening options (then I discovered smooth jazz and all bets were off).



Previously revisited for the blog:
Ultimate Manilow (2002)
If I Should Love Again (1981)
One Voice (1979) 
Even Now (1978)
Tryin' To Get The Feeling (1975)

1 comment:

  1. Don't think I had ever listened to Barry start-to-finish before being prompted to do so today. I hope I'm not being too vague when I say it sounds like a Barry Manilow album.

    Because inquiring minds want to know, I looked up the film Tribute while I listened. Directed by Bob Clark (A Christmas Story, Porky's) and starring Jack Lemmon, the film is based on stage play of same name which also featured Lemmon in lead role. Now we know.

    ReplyDelete