Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Arild Andersen - Selected Recordings :rarum XIX (2004)


ECM :rarum MONTH* (MARCH 2017)

Sorry to disappoint, but I am completely unfamiliar with Andersen and his work and I'm going to need to spend more time with this disc before I have anything worthwhile to write about it. Before receiving this box set, I don't recall reading or hearing his name. Even the Allmusic review admits the Andersen "may not be one of ECM's best-known bandleaders (to Americans, that is), but that hasn't stopped him from amassing an impressive catalog as one of the label's senior statesmen." With the (mostly) peaceful nature of the writing, I'll probably do all my subsequent listenings after dark. It might pair well with the first disc from 2015 ECM offering of Mette Henriette. We'll see.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: 13 tracks, 75 minutes.

TitleAlbum
Year

Vanilje
1986

Svev
1993
The Island
1997

305 W 18th St 1975
For All We Know
If You Look Far Enough
1993
The Sword Under His Wings 1982
Shorts
1983
Gardsjenta
1991
Sagn
1991
She's Gone
2000
Printer
1988
A Song I Used to Play
1981
Sole
1978

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None



*Back in June 2015, this beautiful thing showed up at my doorstep:


It's a 12 CD box set (2008) of compilation discs from ECM's :rarum series, a birthday gift from a good friend.  In this series, the artists were given the freedom to pick their personal favorite recordings from any ECM release they've made as a leader or sideman. In other words, the label got outta the way and good for them.  I'll be making my way through the set this month.

ECM (Edition of Contemporary Music), originally a German label, was founded in 1969. "Rarum" comes from the Latin root "rarus" meaning "rare" (perhaps foreshadowing that these CDs wouldn't be in print for very long).

No comments:

Post a Comment