Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

TLC - FanMail (1999)


"MY WIFE BOUGHT WHAT?!?" FORTNIGHT* (JULY 1-14, 2016)

Dadgummit. I thought this was the one with the song Waterfalls on it, but it's the one with No Scrubs on it. Always liked Waterfalls. No Scrubs, on the other hands, is just okay and reminds me of The Sopranos. But it's one of the better songs on this album. Overall, this thing is overly repetitive and hasn't aged well, but it's harmless. If I had been teenage girl in 1999 instead of a 33 year old father of two, I'd most likely feel differently.

mp3.com update: site ultimately dismantled, name sold to CNET,
most content redirected to last.fm, site hasn't been updated in over a year.
Stay tuned. Or not.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (5 non-consecutive weeks)
Peak on Billboard R&B albums chart: #1 (4 non-consecutive weeks)

Tracks: The best song is I Miss You So Much (written and produced by Babyface), also good are the aforementioned No Scrubs, Unpretty, Dear Lie, Don't Pull Out On Me Yet, and Come On Down (written by Diane Warren). Admittedly, those are the more pop-ish tunes, but as a wise man once told me: we like what we like.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nope.




*I recently unearthed a CD carry case that my wife used to carry in one or more of our three former minivans.  This month, in the spirit of this blog's mission, I'll be listening to that case's contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment