Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Bing Crosby - Sings Again (1986)


"MY WIFE BOUGHT WHAT?!?" FORTNIGHT* (JULY 1-14, 2016)

This is most likely the first time this particular disc has been played in full even though it's been in our possession for 25 years. A compilation of Crosby songs originally released 1931-1953, this CD was purchased because my wife couldn't get the tune Swinging On A Star out of her head (can't blame her - that thing is catchy as hell). Since this was in the first round of CD reissue cash grabs in the mid-to-late '80s, there's no liner notes other than titles and release dates. I wonder how the composers and arrangers feel about that. Back then, the CD was a new medium and it was license 'em, press 'em, and get 'em on the market quick. This was most likely the first Crosby CD compilation to be released. It's not bad, but I'd rather hear Sinatra.

I'm assessing a penalty for non-chronological sequencing.

The sound quality is amazingly solid for an early CD, maybe because it was compiled and restored by Steve Hoffman.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: There's no White Christmas here (odd for a Crosby compilation), so my favorites are the aforementioned Swinging On A Star, Beyond The Reef, and What's New.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nope.



*I recently unearthed a CD carry case that my wife used to carry in one or more of our three former minivans. This month, in the spirit of this blog's mission, I'll be listening to that case's contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment