Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 6, 2016

The Smithereens - Blow Up (1991)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD.

This group grabbed my interest with Green Thoughts, held it with 11, and began losing me with Blow Up. And while this thing is decidedly hit-and-miss, there's some good Beatlesque power pop to be had here. Sadly, as a whole, it just doesn't measure up to the previous releases: it's good, not great. I wasn't looking to purchase this CD, but I saw it in a used clearance bin and I've got a music addiction I've got to feed so there ya go. I'd do the same if I ever saw a copy of 11.

Album cover trivia: the cover design is by movie poster/title sequence artist Saul Bass.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #120


Tracks: The good stuff is Top Of The Pops, Too Much Passion, and Girl In Room 12. The mediocre stuff is Evening Dress, Now And Then, Over And Over Again, It's Alright, If You Want The Sun To Shine, and the appropriately titled Tell Me When Did Things Go So Wrong. You'll want to skip Get A Hold Of My Heart, Indigo Blues, and Anywhere You Are.

Exclusive CD longbox photo courtesy of Dirk Digglinator
of the Hambonian Archives.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This album was released and originally purchased during the four years my wife were married before we had children (1989-93). By 1991, I was on my second "real" job, we had purchased our first house and first country club membership as I had taken up golf. However, none of that has anything to do with this album, so I'll just quit my rambling as I can't remember much associated with this CD other than listening to this cassette in my gray Nissan pickup. I purchased the follow-up album, A Date With The Smithereens, but quickly discarded it as I felt  as if I had been stood up on that date [rimshot].

Previously revisited for the blog:
2011 (2011)
Blown To Smithereens: Best Of The Smithereens (1995)
Green Thoughts (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment