Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Various Artists - GRP Presents The Cool Sound of CD 101.9, Volume IV (1991)


Ah, the days when record labels would release samplers. Now they've been relegated to the used CD bins, where I picked this up for $1 without even looking at the track listing. And guess what? It sounds like smooth jazz from the early '90s - lots of synths and drum machines.


According to my extensive online research quest (Wikipedia), it appears that CD-101.9 was New York City FM station WQCD, which had a smooth jazz format 1988-2008.  Now broadcasting at 101.9 is WFAN sports radio.  However, through the wonders of technology, CD-101.9 can now be heard streaming online at http://www.smoothjazzcd1019.com and I gotta tell ya, it ain't bad.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  Turns out I had about a third of these tracks on other discs, but for a buck, I'm not complaining.


The better tracks are from Spyro Gyra (no surprise there), Dave Grusin, Chick Corea, and Tom Scott. I recommend skipping the New York Voices cover of Stevie Wonder's Too High.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: none

No comments:

Post a Comment