Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Texas Trumpets (1999)


From the back cover:
Some of the best trumpet players of all time hail from and still reside in the heart of Texas. Popular demand brings these troubadours together for a special recording backed by Austin's finest Eastside all-star players. This project showcases a variety of soul, serenade and sass with each bringing in their own element of blues, jazz & R&B.
A regional release on Austin's Dialtone Records. This one probably would have flown under my radar if it hadn't been for a glowing review in the January 2000 issue of Texas Monthly magazine, to which I subscribed at the time.


Prompted by the review, I tried to hunt down a copy of the CD online to no avail. I finally got it through a phone order to Austin's Waterloo Records. The reviewer nails it perfectly; I liked it from the get-go and it has been a summer staple around this place ever since. Solid performances and great grooves throughout, provided in by The Eastside Band. These guys put an Austin twist on late '60s R&B, heavy on the B. Raw and authentic with few vocals, there probably weren't many overdubs on these sessions. Perfect for the next backyard BBQ, which should be coming up this weekend.

If I could find them playing, do you think they'd let an old guy who hadn't touched his trumpet in 5 years sit in with them? I won't let the fact that I don't have any jazz chops stop me.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  It's an hour of fun goodness, no track skipping allowed. Today I'm grooving on Tropical Breeze, Paige 'N T.C., One Night Stand, The Eastside, and the medley Blues in G/Shake Rattle & Roll.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  see above

No comments:

Post a Comment