Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Elvis Presley - ELV1S: 30 #1 Hits (2002)


A fine compilation of remastered singles by Elvis Presley that reached #1 in either the US or UK.  I've heard them all many times before and I'll likely hear them all again before the year is over.  As the excellent liner notes state: "songs on this album are so familiar it can be difficult at times to recall the immediacy of their initial impact."  I don't mean to short change Elvis - this is a great compilation - but what could I say?  Elvis is one of those ubiquitous artists about which I can't add anything that hasn't already been written, so I'll shut up now.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  #1 (3 consecutive weeks, Oct 12 -26, 2002)

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Tracks:  31 tracks, 80 minutes, chronological order (I likes!).  Most songs are 2½ minutes, so they fly by quickly.  I listen to the whole thing, top to bottom.  Favorites change on each hearing.



Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  This CD was purchased for listening while driving the 7 hours to Memphis during Spring Break 2007.  Me and the fam hit all the usual tourist joints, including tours of Graceland and Sun Studios.

The back of Graceland, 2007 (because you've
seen what it looks like from the front)

Another Elvis-related memory dates back to my 10th wedding anniversary when my wife and I vacationed in Vegas and had our vows renewed by an Elvis impersonator at the Graceland Wedding Chapel.  ("Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?  Do you promise to love her tender and be her teddy bear?  Will you be her hunka hunka burnin' love?" etc.)  The whole thing wrapped up with me and the impersonator singing a duet of Viva Las Vegas, natch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment