Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Doris - Did You Give The World Some Love Today Baby (1970)


Dutch Import

Before I start, I've got to say that I absolutely love that album title.

So last year, I'm listening to Capitol Rare 3: Funky Notes From The West Coast and discover the song Beatmaker by Doris.  Never heard of this Swedish singer before, but ordered this CD on the strength of that one song.  While comparisons to Petula Clark are abundant, I'm not disappointed.  Released in 1970, this album is a mix of popular genres of the late '60s.  Excerpts from the original album liner notes by Roger Wallis put it best:
This LP marks the highlight in the career of a talented Nordic blond vocalist - Doris Svensson from Gothenburg, Sweden. It seems as though she's finally managed to find and record a set of songs that suit her 100%.
Doris' album provides 36 minutes of qualified musical joy guaranteed to satisfy all tastes. Discotheques will find that two numbers in particular, "Don't" and "Beatmaker" are good box office draws. Jazz die-hards might even start visiting discotheques after digesting "I Wish I Knew" and "I'm Pushing You Out". Note too an incredible ballad called "Daisies" and tell me if Sweden hasn't produced a dangerous competitor for Melanie.

Once again, this LP's got something for everybody, the best of underground, jazz, rock and folk - not mixed up in one gigantic hotch-potch, but all in gentle harmony.
Something for everybody, indeed.  Original psychedelic jazz-funk along with covers of The Band, Harry Nilsson, and jazz pianist Billy Taylor.  Is that a fiddle on a funk chart?  I just like the feel of the thing.  Grab your go-go boots, baby, and let's dance.


This 1996 reissue CD contains 10 bonus tracks (subtitled "The Pop Years") of tracks recorded 1966-1969 with two groups I've never heard of: Plums and Dandys.  True to its billing, these are more popish which makes them a little less interesting, but some are enjoyable.  I think the members of Plums were very familiar with the work of The Association.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  22 tracks in 66 minutes.  Of the original 12 tracks, my favorites are the title track, I Wish I Knew, Don't, I'm Pushing You Out, and Beatmaker.  Skip the novelty tune, Won't You Take Me To The Theatre.  For you video game fans, track 7, You Never Come Closer, can be heard in Grand Theft Auto V, on the fictional radio station FlyLo.  The ten bonus tracks are hit-or-miss (as bonus tracks are wont to be). The best of those are the take on Curtis Mayfield's Mama Didn't Lie, You Made A Fool Of Me, a fun cover of One Fine Day, and Go Back To Daddy.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment