Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You (1981)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.  My copy is the 2009 reissue.

I didn't realize it when I bought the LP in 1981, but this album was actually a compilation of touched-up studio outtakes from the seventies. It didn't sound like that to me then and it certainly doesn't sound like that now. It's a solid rock album rooted in blues tradition that leaves you thinking, "these were throwaways?!?" Of course, in '81, this was the first Stones album I'd ever purchased so I really didn't know what to expect. It's amazing how the Stones seemingly moved effortlessly to disco and then back to rock in the late '70s to early '80s. Sadly, the Stones would never release an album this strong again.

One of the Stones' strengths at this point in their long, storied career was their ability to attract top tier guest musicians to play on their albums. This album includes contributions from Pete Townshend, Billy Preston, and Sonny Rollins(!). The latter two completely steal the show on the song Slave, but that's just one example.

The album won a Grammy award, but it wasn't for the rockin' tunes, it was for the immediately recognizable album packaging.

Press of the time:
  • Robert Christgau (A-): "this is a damn good record, a great band showing off its mastery"
  • Trouser Press: "just another Stones record"
  • Roadrunner: "show no signs of being ready to throw in the towel"
  • Record Mirror (★★★½): "not a great deal to get worked up about"
  • Rolling Stone (★★★★★): "rockers with real momentum and love songs with real objects"
  • Stereo Review: "it's not so much peculiar as it is wonderful"
  • RPM Weekly: "The Stones aren't going to blaze any new trails"


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #1
  • Billboard Rock: #1
  • CashBox: #1
  • Rolling Stone: #1

Tracks:  On LP, the first six tracks were compiled to form a rock side while what was side 2 (tracks 7-11) are slower attempts at ballads. I always liked the way this album starts, the first 4 tracks are fantastic in content and sequencing. The A side begins to fall apart with the blues Black Limousine, but by that time it really doesn't matter because you're all in (I do confess to occasionally flipping the album early and skipping Neighbors about half the time). I like the slower side much better these days than I did in '81. From those tracks, my picks are Worried About You, Heaven, and the final track, Waiting On A Friend, which is another track totally owned by Sonny Rollins.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: if memory serves, this was the first album I ever bought due solely to peer pressure - all the cool kids in high school were listening to this, so I picked it up. Turns out the cool kids were right for once.

My favorite Rolling Stones tune is Gimme Shelter, but Start Me Up runs a close second. I saw the group in Houston in 2003 and both songs were performed. And Mark was happy.


Previously revisited for the blog:
Some Girls (1978)

1 comment:

  1. Didn't care about what the critics wrote or what the cool kids were listening to, I heard "Start Me Up" on the radio in Texas in the middle of August 1981 and had to have it. Unfortunately we were in the middle of driving across the country, moving and a hot car was no place for vinyl. Once we got a house on base in early October (after 30 days living at a campground) this album was one of my first purchases. It was my third Stones album after Some Girls and Emotional Rescue.

    Like you, I had a hard time believing the songs were cobbled together from exisiting outtakes. Side One is still a go-to. In fact, I may go-to it right now.

    ReplyDelete