Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ultimate Santana (2007)


I don't consider myself a Santana fan; I bought this disc for the same reason I bought a Sugar Ray CD: this stuff is perfectly suited for hot afternoons spent enjoying the pool. This compilation plays like a collection of highlights from Santana's late career comebacks, along with a couple of classic rock oldies.  I probably would have been better off with a different compilation disc that focused on the band's earlier releases, but oh well - it ain't gonna matter too much when I'm in the water.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #8

Tracks:  Lots of music here - 18 tracks covering 77 minutes (which means we get single edits, not albums cuts). I like the classic rock stuff from 1970's Abraxas album (even my sons know that stuff, mainly from its inclusion in Guitar Hero games) and Everybody's Everything.  Of the newer stuff, I like the collaboration with Michelle Branch, The Game Of Love.  I wish they would have included the song Winning, which peaked at #17 on the Hot 100 in 1981.  Then again, they didn't include any of Santana's Top 40 hits from the late '70s/early '80s.  There are three new songs on this compilation and none of them do much for me, but after the chart-topping success of the Supernatural album, you can't blame them for repeating the same formula as long as it was making $.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The early '70s stuff reminds me of hot, desert nights growing up in Odessa.  The late '90s/early '00s collaborations remind me of teaching at a small, rural school around that time.

1 comment:

  1. In Summer 2007, a few months before this CD was released, HERC compiled his own Santana mix CD for (you guessed it) a pool party. Drawing from both CDs and vinyl LPs, he managed to compile a disc with 15 tracks that lasted just under 70 minutes. Although he had plans grande to segue the songs, he never could find a sequence he liked so went with the old tried and true: chronological order.

    Evil Ways
    Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen
    Oye Como Va
    Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile)
    She's Not There
    Well All Right
    All I Ever Wanted
    Winning
    Hold On
    Nowhere To Run
    Say It Again
    Smooth
    Put Your Lights On
    Maria Maria
    Why Don't You & I
    The Game of Love

    HERC paid $9.99 for Ultimate Santana at Target for this track only. It remains one of his favorite driving songs, sounding particularly sweet in The Blueberry.

    ReplyDelete