Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Best of Sugar Ray (2005)


At first glance, this band may seem out of place in my collection. Admittedly, I don't know anything about the band, haven't followed their history, and never really thought much about them. I just heard their stuff on the radio. But I gotta tell ya - their brand of accessible pop rock sounds fantastic by the pool on a sunny summer afternoon.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #136

Tracks:
  • On the poolside playlist: Shot Of Laughter, Answer The Phone, Fly, Someday, Every Morning, When It's Over, and Chasin' You Around. Hell, I even like the bad cover of Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him?
  • Indifferent: Under The Sun and Falls Apart.
  • Skip: Mean Machine, Time After Time, Rhyme Stealer, RPM, and Psychedelic Bee.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  When my sons were younger, we would often take them to water parks. One summer as I was sitting by the wave pool at the SeaWorld water park (I think it was called Lost Lagoon back then?), I heard one of Sugar Ray's songs over the loudspeakers and I thought it just seem to fit. When we finally had a pool of our own, I picked up this CD.

1 comment:

  1. Like the disclaimer.

    "Fly" was the Summer Jam of 1997 for me along with "MmmBop" and "Mo Money Mo Problems". It was also never released as a single in US so it never charted on Hot 100. Sugar Ray and Smashmouth both gets lots of plays around the pool here at The Hideaway.

    I mentioned it in another comment but the boys of Sugar Ray did a cover of Adam and the Ants' "Stand And Deliver". They also covered Steve Miller's "Abracadabra".

    ReplyDelete