Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Best of Sugar Ray (2005)


At first glance, this band may seem out of place in my collection.  Admittedly, I don't know anything about the band, haven't followed their history, and never really thought much about them.  I just heard their stuff on the radio.  But I gotta tell ya - their brand of accessible pop rock sounds fantastic by the pool on a sunny summer afternoon.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #136

Tracks:
  • On the poolside playlist: Shot Of Laughter, Answer The Phone, Fly, Someday, Every Morning, When It's Over, and Chasin' You Around.  Hell, I even like the bad cover of Joe Jackson's Is She Really Going Out With Him?
  • Indifferent: Under The Sun and Falls Apart.
  • Skip: Mean Machine, Time After Time, Rhyme Stealer, RPM, and Psychedelic Bee.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  When my sons were younger, we would often take them to water parks.  One summer as I was sitting by the wave pool at the SeaWorld water park (I think it was called Lost Lagoon back then?), I heard one of Sugar Ray's songs over the loudspeakers and I thought it just seem to fit.  When we finally had a pool of our own, I picked up this CD.

1 comment:

  1. Like the disclaimer.

    "Fly" was the Summer Jam of 1997 for me along with "MmmBop" and "Mo Money Mo Problems". It was also never released as a single in US so it never charted on Hot 100. Sugar Ray and Smashmouth both gets lots of plays around the pool here at The Hideaway.

    I mentioned it in another comment but the boys of Sugar Ray did a cover of Adam and the Ants' "Stand And Deliver". They also covered Steve Miller's "Abracadabra".

    ReplyDelete