Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Barenaked Ladies - Gordon (1992)


After enjoying Stunt for a while, I wanted to hear some of the BNL back catalog, so I picked up this disc. While not as consistently strong as Stunt, it's got some witty, immediately likeable songs. Moving effortlessly between folksy pop to ballads to country to scat to parodies, these Canadian chameleons had more talent than their (lack of) Top 40 success in the U.S. would suggest. My sons only know about them because of their TV show theme for The Big Bang Theory and that's a shame (but their pop music education is far from over).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart (later reached #36 on the Catalog chart in 1998, about the time I purchased my copy)

Tracks:  My favorite track is the hilarious Grade 9. Other favorites include Hello City, Enid, and Box Set, which is particularly funny if you've ever be disappointed in an eagerly anticipated box set from your favorite recording artist. I usually skip The King Of Bedside Manor and Blame It On Me.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Stunt (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment