Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Rilo Kiley - Under The Blacklight (2007)


Indie bands aren't usually my thing and, to be honest, I have no idea what prompted me to purchase this disc. After I bought it, the disc stayed in my truck's CD player for a while, then was quickly forgotten. I know absolutely nothing about this group. For the most part, it sounds like Edie Brickell singing Fleetwood Mac filler to me. It's not bad at all, but this group isn't breaking any ground here and it just doesn't grab me. Maybe it's the writing, maybe it's the lack of variety, maybe it's the production, I can't put my finger on it. When songs come around on a shuffle, I usually don't hit the skip button, but the CD hasn't left the shelf in years. Maybe that means these songs are better taken one bite at a time instead of as a 38 minute meal.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #22

Tracks:  The best track is Dreamworld, but I also like The Moneymaker and the '90s pop of Breakin' Up (which bears more than a passing resemblance to The Cardigans' Lovefool). The skippable track is 15, possibly the only alt-country-neosoul pop song with a theremin solo.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

1 comment:

  1. I bought this one based on its inclusion on the Top Albums of 2007 in the three main music mags I read back then: Rolling Stone, Blender and Spin. Listened to it for about a month solid but not so much since then.

    ReplyDelete