Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Richard Elliot - Soul Embrace (1993)


A smooth jazz pick-up from the used bin, this was intended to provide some background music at work, but doesn't even get used much for that. I'm simply not a fan of his tone and playing style. There's one or two decent tracks, but mostly the music is about as good as the cover design. Critic Scott Yanow isn't much of a fan, either:
...a blatant attempt to win over the Kenny G audience. As usual, the tenor saxophonist emphasizes long tones that any high-school musician could hit, and he plays with great emotion no matter what notes he is hitting. As instrumental pop, this music is tolerable, but its lack of originality and honest soul is troubling.
Admittedly, Elliot has had a long career (upwards of 20 albums), so there are obviously people who enjoy his work. As for me, I won't be buying '90s smooth jazz from the used bins anymore.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart:  Did not chart

Tracks:  The best song is the cover of 10cc's I'm Not In Love; the worse song is also a cover - Stevie B's Because I Love You.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Best of Richard Elliot (2000)
On the Town (1991)

2 comments:

  1. I won't be buying '90s smooth jazz from the used bins anymore.

    What took you so long to learn this lesson?

    Previously revisited for the blog:
    The Best of Richard Elliot (2000)
    On the Town (1991)


    and then

    I'm simply not a fan of his tone and playing style.

    Fess up, how many more Richard Elliot discs are in your collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it for Elliot. I'm a slow learner, but I've also got a CD addiction to feed...

      Delete