Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Judy's - Land Of Plenty (1991)


Long missing from my collection, this collection of pop gems finally saw wide release in 2007 and I was one of the first in line to buy a copy. Here's the lowdown on this one from the band's website:
In 1990, The Judy’s set out to record a new album with a new Judy’s sound. Featuring the lineup that had been established over a number of years the band, including Barbara Donaho (keyboards/guitars), Lee Malone (bass), and Darwin Keys (drums), set out to explore new horizons musically and thematically. Land of Plenty injected multi-layered keyboards and guitars, stacked vocals, a gospel choir, and even a bit of banjo into the band’s palatte and sought to realize [band leader David] Bean’s vision of a new Americana musical landscape. Broad in its scope and daring in its expansion of the band’s definition of itself, Land of Plenty was shelved when the group disbanded before the CD’s release. While a handful of copies have been given out, this is first time this long sought-after project has been available to the general public.
Gone are the two minute power pop songs of Washarama, replaced by longer songs that represent David Bean's maturing skills as a musician, songwriter, and producer. But one thing remained constant: Bean's lyrics are sardonic and hilarious, as always.

Last I heard, David was enjoying a career in public education. I'd love for him to have taught either of my sons. I hope he still dabbles with music as a hobby, even if it's only for himself. I'm still waiting for digital releases of The Judy's 1987 single, Girl of 1000 Smells, and David's contribution to the Ten From Texas compilation. While waiting, I'll continue to enjoy my vinyl copies of those two.


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  Like any Judy's release, this one has to be heard all through. My favorites include Celebrity, When She Was Good, There Goes The Neighborhood, and Jesus Be My Airplane.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I was completely unaware of this CD until about 2001. At that time, I wasted a lot of time at my job searching other people's mp3 files through the original Napster. I searched for "The Judy's" and found all these songs that I had never heard of. How dare they release new music and not tell me! I tried to put together my own mp3 album, but not all files were available and those that existed were of questionable quality. Still, they had to do until I was able to procure my own copy. So I was a little late to this party, but I'm so happy to have arrived.

In the mid-'90s, not long after I started messing around on the Interwebs, I found an email address for a David Bean in Pearland, Texas. I shot off a quick fan email. Turns out the email address belonged to the band leader's father, also named David. Instead of being annoyed at my intrusion on his life, he sent a courteous reply which conveyed the obvious pride he had in his son and the pleasure he got from hearing about the joy his son's music has brought to others.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Moo (1985)
Washarama (1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment