Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Michael Franks - The Best Of Michael Franks: A Backward Glance (1998)


When I was in college, many in my larger circle of friends listened to Franks and always told me I should I get some of his records. Being a contrarian, I never bought anything ("You can't tell me what to like!"), but my friends played him a lot so I heard him plenty. Years later, I saw this CD and picked it up thinking it might be fun to revisit some of these tunes. Franks' fans will tell you he blends pop and jazz music. I will tell you that he writes either soft rock songs or attempts at jazz standards; there's not much blending. And, overall, the songwriting is mid-tempo and pretty bland. In the mid-'80s, he made more of an attempt to woo the adult contemporary market and, not surprisingly, those are the songs I like the best.

I would offer this CD to one of my college buddies, but I feel confident that they all have purchased digital copies of his entire catalog.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  15 tracks covering Franks' career 1976-95. The only tracks I've ripped to my computer are Popsicle Toes, Your Secret's Safe With Me, and When I Give My Love To You.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment