Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Anita Baker - Rhythm of Love (1994)


My least favorite Anita Baker album, but that doesn't mean it's bad and I never listen to it. With a sexy, soulful voice like that, I doubt Baker could make a bad album. The problems here are material that is weaker than usual and production that is uneven (probably because 6 different producers hand their hands in the mix). This one is good, but didn't live up to the high expectations Baker created with Rapture.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #3
  • Billboard R&B: #1

Tracks:  Highlights include the beautiful, waltzing Body And Soul, Baby, and Sometimes I Wonder Why. Nothing can touch Dusty Springfield's take on Bacharach's The Look Of Love, but Baker's version here certainly tries - I enjoy the attempt to merge it with a quiet storm sound. There are also songs on which Baker takes weak material and elevates it to another level (Plenty Of Room, Wrong Man). I usually skip the title track and Only For A While. I'm also not a fan of the covers of You Belong To Me and My Funny Valentine.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I lived in San Antonio for most of 1994, so this CD brings back memories of that time, particularly of the Alamo Cafe. Back then the restaurant was on San Pedro and had the best chicken fried steak in the city, despite the fact that it's a Tex-Mex joint.

Previously revisited for the blog:
My Everything (2004)
Compositions (1990)
Giving You The Best That I Got (1988)
Rapture (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment