Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Anita Baker - Compositions (1990)


In the late '80s - early '90s, I listened to Anita Baker all the time. So smooth. What makes this CD different from other R&B releases of the time is its low-tech approach: Baker insisted that a live rhythm section be used for the tracks and she refused to use a drum machine. Of course, Baker's voice just soars above it all. As a result, this music hasn't aged a bit. After 1986's Rapture, this is my second favorite Baker disc.

Press of the time:
  • Stereo Review: "epitomizes the qualities that have set her apart"
  • Rolling Stone (★★★): "relentlessly predictable"
  • CashBox: "This effort is Baker with one hand behind her back and both eyes closed"
  • Billboard: "A tip of the hat to Baker for taking a risk that works."

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #5
  • Billboard R&B: #3

Tracks: There are many great cuts on this disc, including Talk To Me, Soul Inspiration, Lonely, No One To Blame, and Fairy Tales (my personal favorite). One of the weaker cuts is Whatever It Takes. Love You To The Letter isn't a bad song, it just seems oddly out of place on this particular disc.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I've been racking my brain, but I can't come up with anything specific.

1 comment: