Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Wynton Marsalis - Baroque Music for Trumpet (1984)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

Raymond Leppard conducting the English Chamber Orchestra.


The following composers are represented here:
  • Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688–1758)
  • George Frideric Handel(1685-1759)
  • Giuseppe Torelli (1658–1709)
  • Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
  • Johann Melchior Molter (1696-1765)
Even though the selected works stay with the Baroque Era (generally considered to be between the years 1600-1750), there's enough variety here to make for an enjoyable album.  When I listen to classical trumpet playing, Marsalis is my go-to guy; this is my favorite of Marsalis' classical albums with his 1983 concerti album a close second.  Soloist and orchestra play very light and all the pieces are played in the proper Baroque style, although with restrained ornamentation.  My only gripe would be the inconsistent mix - at times, Marsalis sounds like he's playing right to me while the other musicians sound like they are performing in the next room.  Slovak soprano Edita Gruberova is along for the ride on a few tracks and does a solid job, but she really takes a back seat to Marsalis.  My favorite piece on this collection is Purcell's Trumpet Overture from his 1695 opera, The Indian Queen.

Stereo Review, March, 1985, p. 89

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Released during my freshman year in college, this got a lot of playing time because I thought I should be listening to it. To be fair, I should have been listening to it and it certainly helped me grow as a musician and a music scholar. But I feel safe in saying that 18 year old me would much rather have been listening to New Wave music.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Two Men with the Blues (2008)
Live at The Village Vanguard (1999)
Standard Time, Vol. 4: Marsalis Plays Monk (1999)
Joe Cool's Blues (1995)
Baroque Duet (1992)
Uptown Ruler: Soul Gestures in Southern Blue, Vol. 2 (1991)
The Original Soundtrack From Tune In Tomorrow... (1990)
Crescent City Christmas Card (1989)
Baroque Music for Trumpets (1988)
Carnaval (1987)
J Mood (1986)
Black Codes (From The Underground) (1985)
Trumpet Concertos (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment