Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wynton Marsalis - Trumpet Concertos (1983)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

Raymond Leppard conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra.

Marsalis' debut classical recording, made when he was 21, quickly became one of my favorites. At the time, I was struggling with trying to become a better trumpet player and Marsalis inspired me. As a result, I listened to this recording quite a bit. I definitely listened to more classical music than your average 16 year old boy.

Stereo Review, September 1983, p. 110

Peak on the CashBox CD chart: #17

Tracks: Trumpet concertos by Haydn, Hummel, and L. Mozart are here. Judging just the compositions, I like the Haydn and the Hummel, but the Mozart doesn't do anything for me. I should note here that history knows Leopold Mozart better as Wolfgang's father than as a musician. As for the interpretations, I thoroughly enjoy Marsalis' cadenza in the Haydn. The orchestra is lively and solid. Marsalis' interpretations, while technically brilliant, are very cautious with unimaginative phrasing, especially in the slower movements. However, this is the recording of a young man just finding his creative voice. I'd like to hear what he'd do with these pieces now.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember seeing a poster of this album cover in Theo's room on the Cosby Show and thinking, "Yeah, right." I could be wrong, but Theo didn't strike me as a classical music listener.


I have a personal story that involves me attempting to learn the Haydn trumpet concerto, but meeting inexplicable resistance, ridicule, and discouragement from an awful trumpet teacher. However, that isn't a very pleasant memory so I won't go into details here. I often wonder how good my playing would have been if I had received some quality instruction during college.

No comments:

Post a Comment