Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Various Artists - Saturday Morning: Cartoons' Greatest Hits (1995)


Back in the mid-'90s, somebody at a record company had the idea to stretch 45 second cartoon themes into 3 minute songs and have rock artists from the label record them. Not a great idea, but it was greenlighted nonetheless because screw art, we're here to make money. There's not much new here as the bands add absolutely nothing interesting to the themes. I generally regard myself as a nostalgic kinda guy, but bland and boring retreads isn't the way to go. Too bad; I would have loved to have heard a full-on funk version of the Fat Albert theme (I'm thinking George Clinton or maybe Prince). These days, if you want to hear Go Speed Racer Go, I suggest going over to YouTube. Evidently, a video starring Drew Barrymore was produced to accompany this compilation. I will not be seeking out that video. Ever. I will give credit where credit is due: the liner notes are fantastic.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #67

Tracks:

If I had to pick tracks to recommend, I'd go with the cover of Josie And The Pussycats by the beautiful Juliana Hatfield & Tanya Donelly and Sublime's version of Hong Kong Phooey.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This was a gift from Scott, a close friend from high school. Before today, I probably haven't listened to it since 1995 and I'm not positive I got all the way through it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment