Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Jamiroquai - Travelling Without Moving (1996)


After posting about Incognito the other day, I received a request for a similar group, Jamiroquai. This is the only Jamiroquai in my collection and it contains their biggest hit, Virtual Insanity. There are some acid jazz sounds to this group's music, but I think they lean more toward pop/funk/dance influences. Still, if the songwriting is good, they sound really good and singer Jason "Jay" Kay can do a heck of a Stevie Wonder impersonation. I dig the '70s vibe, but the problem here is inconsistent writing. Some of the grooves are good enough for background music at your next retro party, but many of the songs don't stand up to active listening. This acid house kind of music was very popular in the '90s in the UK while over here in the US we were subjected to Alanis Morisette, Hootie and the Blowfish, and Celine Dion. Advantage: UK.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #24

Tracks: There's Virtual Insantity, then there's the rest. Of the rest, I like Use The Force (also on the Sliding Doors soundtrack), Alright, High Times, and You Are My Love. Definitely skip the group's attempt at ska, Drifting Along, and the nonsense on the didgeridoo, Didjerama/Didjital Vibrations.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The legendary video introduced me to the band and prompted the purchase of this CD. The question is: Where would I have seen a video in '96? I had a 3 year old toddler, so the TV was most likely turned to Nickelodeon rather than MTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment