Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

George Howard - Dancing In The Sun (1985)


Fairly routine mid-'80s smooth jazz, complete with drum machines. So how can I love drum machines on a New Wave album, but not a smooth jazz album from the same time period? I wish I could explain, but it's just one of those things [shrug]. The ear wants what the ear wants.

Howard paved the way for urban jazz soprano saxophone artists like Kim Waters and Najee. He died of cancer in 1998 at age 41. I heard Howard's cover of Lionel Richie's Love Will Find A Way on the radio about 8-10 years ago, liked it, and found a cheap copy of this disc. It is the only Howard CD in my collection; it's not something I listen to often.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #169
  • Billboard Jazz: #1
  • Billboard R&B: #47
  • CashBox: #128
  • CashBox Jazz: #1
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay: #13

Tracks: My favorite track is, of course, the track which prompted the disc's purchase: Love Will Find A Way. The only other listenable track is Dancing In The Sun, skip the other 5.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. I was more into Spyro Gyra, Grover Washington, Jr., and David Sanborn when this was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment