Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down (1983)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD.

Yeah, I'll take the grief for having this album. Hard to believe this is music from the same guy that co-wrote Brick House, but I'm a sucker for good pop music. I guess this was the pinnacle of Richie's career. It won the Grammy for Album of the Year in 1985, beating out Prince's Purple Rain and Springsteen's Born In the USA (that's the Grammys for ya). Not exactly a guilty pleasure because I'm sure a lot of you would be able to sing along with most of the songs, I just can't help liking this over-produced, maudlin, sentimental album.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1 (3 weeks, Dec 3-17, 1983)
Peak on Billboard's R&B albums chart: #1 (23 weeks)   
Peak on Cash Box album chart: #1 (5 consecutive weeks)

Tracks: Only 8 songs. I remember back when that was the norm. Anyway, I like the title track, All Night Long (All Night), Love Will Find A Way, The Only One, and Hello. I can't stand Penny Lover and Stuck On You and, I'll be honest, it's tough to get through those tonight. The urge to skip is strong.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: The first thing that comes to mind is playing All Night Long with the jazz band in high school (I think I have a recording somewhere). Songs from this album were everywhere during my senior year of high school, so it's more of a reminder of that time. During the summer of 1984, I learned how to play Hello on the piano and thought I'd use it woo women, but I never had the opportunity. It's a good thing; I don't think it was in the right key for me and I knew very little about transposing back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment