Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Hoax - Sound Like This (1994)


Apparently, the hoax is that a British blues band can sound like they're from Austin, Texas. The boys are talented enough, but you can tell they were brought up on a steady diet of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Typical Stratocaster electric boogie-based blues, although the guitar playing isn't near as good as SRV (duh), the harmonica playing is very good and the vocalist is a dead ringer for SRV. The songwriting leans a little more to the funk/pop side of blues, but that's fine with me. This is one of those discs that I don't seek out, but I certainly don't mind when a song comes up on a shuffle.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The best track is Twenty Ton Weight, but I also enjoy Lizard Like Me, Scaramouche, and Driving Blind. I'm not normally a fan of slow blues, but the slow track here, Swallow My Pride, stretches out for 10 minutes which really tries my patience.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Found this CD on the cheap from eBay after hearing Twenty Ton Weight on the Heaven's Prisoners soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment