Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

John Adams - The Chairman Dances (1987)


Edo De Waart conducting the San Francisco Symphony. Recorded at Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco, November, 1986.

An outstanding compilation of minimalist orchestral music, five works are included on this disc:
As a whole, the disc is quite enjoyable, but my favorite pieces are Short Ride In A Fast Machine and Christian Zeal And Activity. The orchestra sounds a little restrained, but otherwise fine. The warmth of the strings help bring out the harmonic beauty of the pieces, particularly Common Tones and Christian Zeal. I don't listen to much contemporary orchestral music, but when I do, I often reach for this disc (if you can still consider this music to be contemporary).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  One of the first CDs I owned, the works here turned me into a huge fan of Adams' early work.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Chamber Symphony/Grand Pianola Music (1994)
Fearful Symmetries/The Wound Dresser (1989)
Harmonielehre (1985)

No comments:

Post a Comment