Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Various Artists - The Uplook Records Story (2006)


The crappy liner notes are no help, but I've pieced together that these songs were released on the small Philadelphia soul label in the years 1967-1970. Uplook Records was put together by talent scout and promoter Gene Lawson to showcase lesser known talent who were making waves locally in Philadelphia at that time. For the most part, these are good not great, Philly soul songs, that later became popular in the UK's Northern Soul movement. The gems here are tracks from Charles Mintz and the first singles from a then-unknown Teddy Pendergrass. Considering the fact that 5 of the tracks are various versions of the song I'll Come Running Back, I'm led to believe that these 21 tracks could be the entire Uplook catalog with many of the songs released here for the first time.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  I bought this for a copy of Charles Mintz singing Since I Found You Girl and, naturally, that turns out to be the best track. Mintz also contributes catchy tracks like Candy Baby, Finders Keepers, and Give A Man A Break. The top Pendergrass track is We Got Love. Other good tracks are Girl I'm At Your Door by Delegates Of Soul and Gotta Tell Somebody (About My Baby) by Tony Talent (who was still a student in jr high school when he recorded it).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None

No comments:

Post a Comment