Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Donnas - Spend The Night (2002)


Sex, drugs, and rock n roll from a California quartet that obviously grew up listening to a lot of AC/DC, Ramones, and Southern rock. Perfect for a high speed summer drive down an empty rural highway with the windows down, stereo full blast. These girls write some great riffs, but after a while, it's too much for this old man. Maybe that's why I've never bought another CD from this group even though I really like this one. The lyrics are hilarious high school trash; the reviewer for pitchfork.com correctly asserts that
the songs on Spend the Night revolve (or devolve) around three main themes: 1) Getting liquored up and makin' it with some guy; 2) Getting liquored up and running into some guy that had his chance to make it with The Donnas, but didn't; or 3) Talking trash about some girl that The Donnas don't like, usually because she keeps them from getting liquored up.
I'm normally not a lyrics guy, but these girls crack me up, although the humor is most likely unintentional. These girls don't mix things up musically or lyrically, but they've found what they're good at and they stick with it. I'll admit that I'm probably attracted to the group and their music because these four girls are the type that I would have chased during high school while they were busy ignoring me (unless they were snobbishly laughing at me). You always want what you can't have, right?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #62

Tracks: Power ballads need not apply. It's all the same fast-paced, hard-driving stuff for about 40 minutes. Today I'm digging Take It Off, Who Invited You, Pass It Around, and Take Me To The Backseat. The weaker songs are Dirty Denim and Too Bad About Your Girl.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This was an impulse buy at a Borders store in San Antonio in 2002. Are those around anymore? [they are not - ed.]

No comments:

Post a Comment