Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this middle-aged man as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. CDs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no downloads. And just as CD technology (and the album format itself) becomes obsolete. I'm no music critic, just a music junkie with too much time on my hands.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Various Artists - Now That's What I Call Christmas! (2001)


The "Now!" series started in the US in 1998, long after I had lost interest in Top 40 radio.  In August of this year, a friend told me that Vol 43 in the series had been released to which I responded, "They should name it 'now that's what I call a hot mess of autotune.'"  However, there's some truth in advertising in this 2 disc compilation.  Of the 36 tracks here, over half are what I would consider to be required listening during December.  If I had to pick just one Christmas compilation, I would pick The Time-Life Treasury Of Christmas, but this would run a close second.  (There's quite a bit of overlap between the two.)

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3 (Dec 22, 2001)

Tracks: Full track listing here.  Disc 1 is first rate with the exceptions of Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (how does a song this bad seemingly grow in popularity each year? and how could they sequence it immediately following Gene Autry singing about Rudolph?) and an out-of-tune medley from Kathy Mattea.  Things get a little iffy on the last half of Disc 2 when it gets to songs I've never heard before (someone really thought the title Love On Layaway was a good choice?) and artists I've never heard before (Joe) or don't care for (Celine Dion, Britney Spears), but I understand those decisions from a marketing perspective.  The best new song is All We Need Is Love (which, admittedly, really isn't a Christmas song).  Worst new song is Special Gift by The Isley Brothers, surprisingly.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment