Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Al Jarreau - Jarreau (1983)


Note: this CD is not the 2009 reissue containing a bonus track (although I've since downloaded that bonus track which is really good and I can't figure out why it was cut from the album).

I'm in a remarkably good mood for a Monday morning and thought I needed to hear Al Jarreau sing the song Mornin'. This collaboration with West Coast sound gurus David Foster, producer Jay Graydon, and session musicians Jerry Hey and Steve Gadd, is a great collection of commercial pop/R&B tunes featuring Jarreau's fantastic voice. Sure, he could have stretched out a little more, but that's only a minor concern - if Jarreau wanted to produce commercially successful music more than scat singing, what does it matter to me? I like this album so I'm glad he went that direction. I just looked at a list of 30 "desert island" CDs I put together in 2004 and this wasn't on it. I should revisit that list because I think that slight was a mistake. This kind of "feel good pop" is easy to criticize and won't make any critic's "best of" list, but none of that matters to me. Probably his best album, released when he was 43(!). This opinion is "confirmed" by besteveralbums.com.

It also got some love at the Grammy Awards: Both Step By Step and Mornin' were nominated for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocal(s) while the album itself was nominated for Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical (Ian Eales, Jay Graydon & Eric Prestis) and Producer of the Year, Non-Classical (Graydon).

Reviews/ratings:
  • Smash Hits (8 out of 10): "Sensual healing"
  • Stereo Review: "makes me feel good inside"
  • Musician: "he finally seems to have found the mix that will let him have his cake and hit records, too."
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★



Album chart Peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #13
  • Billboard Jazz: #1
  • Billboard R&B: #4
  • Rolling Stone: #8
  • CashBox: #7
  • CashBox Jazz: #1
  • Radio & Records Jazz Radio National Airplay: #2

Tracks: Even though the video is admittedly cheesy, Mornin' (#21 pop, #2 AC, #6 R&B) is a fantastic picker-upper and probably my favorite song on the album followed closely by Boogie Down (#77 pop, #9 R&B). Also good are Save Me, Trouble In Paradise (#63 pop, #10 AC, #66 R&B), and Love Is Waiting. I've grown so accustomed to listening to this album straight through (it's only 39 minutes long) that I don't even skip the two tunes that I don't like as much: I Will Be Here For You (Nitakungodea Milele) and Black And Blues.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  In 1984, I dubbed a copy of this album from a teacher's LP and was immediately a Jarreau fan. The tape got a lot of playing time in my car and my neighbors were often treated to my vocal stylings as I sang along (very loudly) with Jarreau. On a good day, I'd attempt the A at the end of the bridge of Mornin'. When I saw Jarreau in concert in 1985, I couldn't wait for him to sing Mornin'. He did and I wasn't disappointed.

This album helped a great deal with my transition to college in the fall of 1984. Not only did I listen to it a lot, it helped me find kindred spirits (read: music geeks) that also liked it.

Exclusive CD longbox photos courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Givin' It Up (2006)
L is for Lover (1986)
High Crime (1984)

2 comments:

  1. What are your thirty desert island CDs?

    As for weird Al Jarreau videos, I love the one for Roof Garden. Love the song, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was written 16 years ago, so things would definitely be slightly different now, but here's the aforementioned list from August 7, 2004, which I titled "Desert Island CD's (Pop/Rock Edition)":

      Here's the rules: no particular order, no greatest hits CD's or other compilations, let's limit it to 30, subject to change at my whim

      The Beatles: Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road
      The Police: Synchronicity
      Steely Dan: Aja, Gaucho
      Toto: IV
      Haircut 100: Pelican West
      Earth Wind & Fire: I Am
      Donald Fagen: The Nightfly
      David Bowie: Let's Dance
      Stevie Ray Vaughan: Soul to Soul
      Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
      Seal: Seal (1994)
      Ben Folds Five: Whatever and Ever Amen
      Dave Matthews Band: Everyday
      R.E.M.: Lifes Rich Pageant
      Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales
      Nick Heyward: North of a Miracle
      Heaven 17: The Luxury Gap
      Joe Jackson: Night and Day
      Squeeze: Sweets from a Stranger
      Shuggie Otis: Inspiration Information
      The English Beat: Special Beat Service
      Everything But the Girl: Amplified Heart
      Duran Duran: Rio
      Asia: Asia
      Stevie Wonder: Songs in the Key of Life

      Unfortunately, I couldn't find a list titled "Desert Island CD's (Jazz Edition)" so I don't know if I ever got around to that one.

      Delete