Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Michael Penn - March (1989)


"LET'S GET IT OVER WITH" WEEK (OCTOBER 15-21, 2012)

I'm sure we've all made the mistake of buying an album for one song then being disappointed in the remainder of the songs. That's the case for me with this debut album from the brother of actors Sean and Chris. I'm also sure we've all purchased a so-so album at just the right time in our lives and, at that time, that particular album really spoke to us and became a life-long favorite. I can see that happening with this album with a lot of people that might have been in high school in 1989. If that describes you, I apologize. Overall, this just isn't my thing. Maybe it's the odd combination of acoustic guitar and drum machine.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #31 (April 7, 1990)
Peak on the Billboard Pop CD chart: #21

Tracks: This starts off with a great song, No Myth, then gets into some lesser folkish rock that simply isn't as good. IMO, none of the songwriting comes even close to No Myth. The album got good reviews, so I guess I'm just missing something.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Purchased for $1.99 at Half-Price Books in 2004. I should have just purchased No Myth from iTunes (at that time named the iTunes Music Store).

No comments:

Post a Comment